Saturday, December 22, 2001

My WSC 2001 Game Summary

Round 4 vs. James Kramer (United States)

James Kramer
Commentary by Mary Rhoades from WSC 2001 Live Coverage:
James Kramer (United States) sings the praises of the 5-point challenge rule. In his game this round, his opponent, Ronald Credo (Philippines), opened with BOyLIKE*. As Jim tells it, he wouldn't have wanted to loose his turn so early on, so he might have had to let that play go. But, he challenged, and it was ruled unacceptable and came off. Ronald's next play was BODyLIKE*, which Jim also challenged off. Jim says, "before long I was winning by 200 points." End score, 578-369.



A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
1
A
T
O
C
I
A





H
I
L
I
2

E





Q
I

M
U
D


3

L




B
I
n
G
E
R
S


4
F
E
R
U
L
A
E


O

T



5

G

P
I
X


V
O
R
S



6

R







F
A




7

A


J
O
Y



V




8
A
m
U


S
A
R
C
O
I
D



9
Z

N

L
E
K

O

N




10
I

H





M

E




11
N

E
A




P
U
D




12
E

A
W

O

W
E
T





13


R


O
B
I
T






14


D


N
E
N
E






15





T
Y
E
S








N

G

T




Round 10 vs. Isaac Apindi Adhero Lang'o (Tanzania)

Isaac Apindi Adhero Lang'o
Commentary by Mary Rhoades from WSC 2001 Live Coverage:
I walked up to table 34 to discover a game that was declared over after 6 passed plays. I overheard Isaac Apindi Adhero Lang'o (Tanzania) say to his opponent, Ronald Credo (Philippines) , "That was one hell of a game!" The game ended 342-267 in Ronald's favor. From what I can reconstruct, Ronald had a play, but feared playing and picking the Q, so he kept passing. " Issac, who had no play that he could see, kept passing as well. And the rest, as they say, is SCRABBLE® history.




A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
1















2















3















4















5










K
Y



6









H
A
E



7







J
E
E
I
N
G

I
8
V





W
O
R
M



I
F
9
I




D
O
G

P
A
T
E
D

10
C
W
M

F
E
N
S







11
E

O
P
A
L


Z

A
N
O
A

12

H
U
I

E
u
G
E
N
I
A

N
Y
13
R
A
T
E
D



X
U



T
O
14
E





O
D

B
U
L
B
S

15
V
A
U
T

C
R
I
E
S

O
I



T
R
A
I
T
O
R
Ronald Credo's last rack


Q
S
E
L
N
R
Apindi's last rack
L
Tile left in the bag


Round 17 vs. Trevor Mark Hovelmeier (South Africa)

Trevor Mark Hovelmeier
Commentary by Mary Rhoades from WSC 2001 Live Coverage:
At table 27, Trevor Mark Hovelmeier (South Africa) was playing Ronald Credo (Philippines). I see the play SEATMAte go down for 87, it is challenged and ruled acceptable. Ronald is a careful player, dutifully checking the play counts to verify scores. After winning the challenge for his two-blank bingo, he put down JIVeY through the blank E for 50 points. As their game ends, I see Ronald pull out a calculator as the players try to agree on the game's score. This game's S-tile recipient, Ronald got down TRAPEZES for 88 from the T and LEOTARDS through the E for 72. Trevor got down TRIDENT on the triple lane.

Mary Rhoades taking a challenge in a game between Ronald Credo (Philippines) and Trevor Mark Hovelmeier (South Africa).
A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
1
H
F
I
N
O
F
2
O
B
A
B
E
L
3
Y
U
G
A
Q
U
A
E
4
N
U
D
5
G
K
E
V
I
L
S
I
A
G
6
L
C
O
O
E
E
D
H
E
7
T
E
L
P
O
W
N
A
8
R
E
X
T
I
N
E
T
O
R
I
I
9
I
O
R
R
O
M
10
D
T
A
M
W
A
I
N
11
E
A
P
A
t
12
N
R
E
T
J
I
V
e
Y
13
T
D
Z
14
S
E
15
S
C
U
R




S




Won: 462-393

No comments: