Saturday, November 20, 1999

Ronald Credo vs. Mark Nyman, Round 5 at the 5th World Scrabble Championship 1999 (WSC1999)

Defeating a Giant: Ronald Credo vs. Mark Nyman – The 'A(S)SOILS' Counter-Strike

Beating a World Champion takes a mix of tactical boldness and seizing the absolute right micro-moment. In this memorable international clash against 1993 World Champion Mark Nyman, the entire game swung on a single, high-stakes sequence. Looking to engineer a late-game comeback, Nyman aggressively dropped FUCUS to intentionally open up a vital bingo lane. Facing down the threat while saddled with a clunky, vowel-heavy AIILOSS rack, I found the perfect antidote. Using the trailing S he just provided, I unleashed A(S)SOILS across the 15a row, completely paralyzing his comeback route while a blank tile was still lurking in the bag. To seal his fate, luck favored my defense, and I immediately drew that missing blank on the next turn, locking down a historic victory against a true legend.


No comments: