Thursday, July 20, 2023

Philippine Scrabble Caravan 7th Leg

 This was my second tournament attendance after a long absence at the Scrabble scene. My Wins Ratio Output of 50% was much lower compared to my initial tournament with a 56.25% clip.


Event: 7th Leg of 2023 Philippine Scrabble Caravan
Date: July 15-16, 2023
Venue: Black Scoop Cafe, Metrowalk, Pasig City
Dictionary Used: CSW21
Format: Straight KOTH (with Gibsonization when the case arises)
First Round Pairing: Drawing of Lots
Number of Rounds: 16
Penalty Challenge: +5 point in a play
The Venue

Group Picture



The Participants

The Playing Arena


Let the games begin...
8 Rounds for Day 1

Round 1, Board 6 vs. Allen Dinglasan

Allen told me that he was still new to tournament scene, however he was fond of playing online Scrabble. A couple of phoneys from Allen, despite holding his blank prevented him from coming back. I was off to a good start!

Won, 492-236
Bingos: 2-0

Round 2, Board 1 vs. Alexis Joyosa

Well played for me with the success of drawing the two blanks and 3 bingos. Alexis reduced the gap by playing bingo SEROTINE on his last move.

Won, 453-388
Bingos: 3-1


Round 3, Board 1 vs. Robbie Onate

Things were looking great for me after my BAnNERS to lead 169-76. Later, I played KI and suddenly, Robbie played two successive bingos and find myself trailing by 25 points. In the pre-endgame, I used my blank to score with WoF after he played EX. Robbie played QAI(D), and I responded with the beautiful, ISNA 47 points to take a measly 5-point lead (366-361). I managed to pipped Robbie by 14 points as he had trouble with his J and a solitary vowel in the endgame.

Won, 407-393
Bingos: 1-2

Round 4, Board 1 vs Mohammad Suma

When I thought that it was already safe to win this game after blocking the bingo lane with VEI(L) to prevent Orak from playing a bingo at the last file. Lo and behold, Orak found V(AL)IDATES - 92 that proved to be his brilliant play in spite of the tight board!

Loss, 456-506
Bingos: 2-3

Round 5, Board 2 vs. Ashby Rivera

Like me, Ashby had been away from Scrabble scene for a long time. But he has still the magic touch with high probability bingos like ERASIOn on his first move. When I got the blank, I played DUSTiLY and took the upper hand. When Ashby phonied with YEY*, that was the beginning of his downfall, as I scored heavily with PRO(C)AINE (66+5), VOX (35) and TEAZE (76).

Won, 473-305
Bingos: 2-1

Round 6, Board 1 vs Mohammad Suma

Orak’s back to back bingos TA?CIER (103) and POI(T)RINE (88+5) catapulted his come from behind victory after trailing by as much as 114 (221-335) earlier. In the endgame, it was my turn and trailing 447-471 as I held the rack, AHIOSTT while Orak held ADNOSTU.

The sequence of moves were as follows:
HOI, DAUNTS, TA(U)TS (Tile left: O)
And I lose by 2 points!

(In my review after analyzing with Quackle, there was a possible win for me. I will put it in a separate blog later.)

Loss, 492-494
Bingos: 3-3

Round 7, Board 1 vs. Mohammad Suma

Orak changed his bingo from ANVILED to ANDVILE giving me the easy nine timer for 131 points in move 3.

Won 510-393
Bingos: 2-1

Round 8, Board 1 vs. Mohammad Suma (again for the 4th time!)

With 3 tiles in the bag, Orak leading 414-300 sets up WO/ ZO to open up another bingo lane, but I blocked it with dangerous move, UNGOD. Good thing I drew N from the bag, otherwise it would have been fatal for PET(U)NIAS. Holding AEIPTTS, Orak tried TAPISTE/ ED but was challenged off the board. This chopped off his spread to 76 points after I played out with UNC(O).

Loss, 354-430
Bingos: 1-1


8 Rounds for Day 2

Round 9, Board 2 vs. Alexis Joyosa

I got away with WIND/ CRUVED* to set up my Y, but thought it won’t be enuf to win as Alexis sets up his LAWN to finish with IRE after I played NY/ WINDY. (But after my post mortem with Quackle, there was a winning move of TIYN (LI, FAY, AWN) after his LAWN. Alas! I think this is the variant of TIYIN and TYIN. These two words I knew it during the game but not TIYN.)

Loss, 437-457
Bingos: 2-2

Round 10, Board 3 vs. Bobby Suma (the father and mentor of Orak)

When I held the rack ADIMNST, I phonied with MIND(GU)TS* at the top left which came off, (missing the hook on RIFLERS for MANTIDS). Anyhow, I managed to get down I(R)ISATED two moves later but Bobby countered with a nine timer I(D)EATINg 131 points but I had YOICK 72 points in the triple. Bobby continued his spurts with IRONERS 70 points followed by QI 64 points.

Loss, 482-526
Bingos: 2-3


Round 11, Board 4 vs. Antonio Malonzo

Mis-tracking coupled with time trouble in the endgame led to my loss. After Col. Malonzo's JIL(T), my tracking sheet showed AEEM as his last rack whereas it should be EEIM. This gave him the game winning play of E(L)EMI. Ouch!
(Just realized later that in case his remaining rack was really AEEM, then E(N)EMA in the N of TREASON would still be winning for him. However, upon further review in my post-mortem, the idea would be to block that play-out spot like (A)IM then followed up by either D(I)V(E) or D(I)V/ DYE. On the other hand, when assumed that his last rack was AEEM, the best block would be M(O)I then the same play-out spot and that should have been winning for me.)


Loss, 368-375
Bingos: 2-1

Round 12, Board 5 vs. Solaiman Pakinson

Those 4 consecutive losses put me in board 5. This time, I played 3 bingos CL(A)RTIER (61+5), BO(T)ANIES (68), and WEST(W)ArD (70+5), while Soller had NITE(R)IEs. The Q-stick in the endgame gave me a healthy spread of +155.

Won, 516-361
Bingos: 3-1

Round 13, Board 4, a return bout with Col. Antonio Malonzo

His EERIEST EXACT(I)NG my counter as I see that letter. Later, he took a ride with JEEPInG (86+5). In the pre-endgame, there’s no way I could win this game without hitting a bingo. I was holding AMRNOSS, but it doesn’t fit. The only hope was to dump the S elsewhere and try to draw either blank or T from the bag (unseen: T?INDAAVBOMU) keeping in mind about the floating -EN- along the left file for a possible ORNAM(EN)TS 149 points, but I drew the U. Col. Tony scored with BO(O)M after that. I again dumped the U played U(R) and this time, V came in. No such luck!


Loss, 344-445
Bingos: 1-2

Round 14, Board 4, a return bout with Robbie Onate

Robbie started with WANTING 80 followed by RE(L)IANCE 68. My blunder came when I laid down MALTEDS hooking S to WANTING and that was challenged off the board. Robbie, took the commanding lead until the end.

Loss, 327-410
Bingos: 0-2

Round 15, Board 4, 3rd bout with Col. Antonio Malonzo

I got all the high point tiles to score with JUNIPER, TELEX, ZOBOS, and QIS, while Col. Tony took the two blanks together. A clear win for me, this time making it 1-2 in our matchup. One unchallenged phoney, DIKEY* was played on the board.

Won, 457-368    
Bingos: 1-2

Round 16 (Last Round) at Board 4, the 4th meeting with Col. Antonio Malonzo.

I got the two blanks in separate occasion and used it to my advantage. Another unchallenged phoney, RENNY* was played on the board.


Won, 391-373
Bingos: 2-1

My Scorecard

My Stats:
Wins Ratio: 8/16 (50%) still not improving from my first comeback stint after 5 years layoff
Average Score: 435 (Against: 404)
Total Bingos: 28 (Against: 26)
Highest Losing Score: 482 in Round 3
Highest Combined Score: 1008 (526-482 vs Bobby in Round 3)
Tuff Luck Losses: -2, -7, -20, -44, -50 (could have gone either way)
All in all, I played with 8 players
-4 games vs. Orak (1-3)
-4 games vs. Col. Tony (2-2)
-2 games vs. Alexis (1-1)
-2 games vs. Robbie (1-1)
-1 game each vs. Ashby, Allen, Soller (3-0)
-1 game vs. Bobby (0-1)



Final Standing after 16 Rounds

The Prize Winners



No comments: